Monday, March 2, 2009

Expect the Unexpected


Well, we left port last Tuesday, sailed for 7 hours, enjoyed a lovely sunset from the boat and then hauled the boat out of the water in Naples, FL. Yes, another minor set back. That silly crack in the fiberglass around the rudder post just didn't want to stay fixed and we had a nice little stream of water coming through it.


I have been chillin' in Ft. Myer's again. Everyone has gotten a good laugh out of my return. They call us Boomarang 2. You see, there was these Australians a couple years back that were going through the same pains of re-fitting a boat. They had a big party when they left, the next day the boat was back for repair, left again, came back again, etc. Hints the name Boomarang. So I guess I am actually the boomarang in this story because the boat didn't come all the way back, but I did. Since the boat isn't here to be worked on, I have had some free time to explore more of what Ft. Myer's has to offer. I have met more interesting people, have spent nearly every sunset on the beach, and many in a canoe with my friend Carveth playing hand drums. I spend my mornings reflecting on what I am learning about myself through the hardships and rewards of this experience and through the relationships I have formed with those around me. Luckily, I have my dear friend Bob to ponder life with from the deck of his boat with Parish(the sweetest little pup who helps me not miss Xela so much). Bob is a 63 year old, white bearded, barefoot, sailor who is like a old man version of me. =)


On a sadder note, there has been a loss in the community. My drum buddy Carveth lost his brother 2 days ago. Apparently he was drunk and fell off his boat, hit his head on the rocks and died. Crazy how life can take a twist and leave you in utter shock because all of a sudden everything has changed. Reminds me to stay present so as to not miss what is being offered. That is what this experience has taugh me most, to look under the surface and see what you are being offered each day. Sometimes we miss it because we are too caught up in what we think we are supposed to be experiencing and not in what is happening right now.


No comments:

Post a Comment