Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Boat that Roy Built


For the last two weeks I have had the pleasure of assisting Cap't Roy in the pursuit of a life long dream. Roy has sailed all his life, but has not had the opportunity to take off on a three month sailing adventure until now. After a life threatening event that reminded him of the fragility of life, he decided there was no better moment then now to actualize this dream. So, he took a risk and bought a 1975 42' Irwin Ketch docked in Ft. Myer's, FL. Due to a demanding work schedule Roy had to buy the boat without seeing it in person. Unfortunately the owner severely misrepresented the boat and flat out lied about the condition of important items like sails and the engine. This is why we are still in Florida. I arrived on the scene two weeks ago and was shocked to see the amount of work necessary to get her going. This is where my ability to adapt was helpful, as I felt like I was living in a giant floating tool box. Never have I seen so many screwdrivers in my life! Surprisingly to both myself and Roy I didn't turn back around and hills in search of another boat. I couldn't explain why but I just knew intuitively that I was exactly where I was supposed to be and I enthusiastically joined the project.

Since then I have visited every Marine and hardware store in the area and Home Depot is a second home for me. I have carried a notebook with lists of parts for plumbing, electrical wiring, and measurements for wood, cable, rope, screws and fuel tanks under my arm daily. Not only have I gained invaluable knowledge about the inner workings of a boat this size, but I have discovered an untapped potential within me. Roy and I make a perfect team and compliment each others strengths. The most valuable assets I have brought to the table is organization. Those of you that know me well, are laughing right now, because I would never describe myself as organized. And those of you that know Roy, know that he has no organization skills what so ever. I even made labels for shelves last night, hahaha.

There is still some work to be done, but we can see the light at the end of the tunnel and are in hopes to be heading south next week if not sooner. I have stopped trying to push for a date, because the repairs seem to always take twice as long. Its all good though because we are having a lot of fun while we do it.
I will have to fill you in on the details of marina life and the colorful characters that I have crossed paths with in next post. Below are pictures of Roy, the boat, the marina, me, and my bird friends. '
Lots of love, Kristen





































































































2 comments:

  1. You are amazing and SOOO inspiring!!! Have TONS of fun!!

    Love & light!
    tabitha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tabitha. I look forward to reading your stories soon too!

    ReplyDelete