Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!

My very first post on the very first day of the new year!

I have been seated in front of this computer screen for the last 5 hours attempting to put into clear eloquent sentences my perspectives on life, what I have learned about myself through my life experiences and how this has prepared me for pursing graduate training in Body Psychotherapy. I laugh as I realize that I have been working on these 12 essay questions for nearly a month now and each time I sit down to edit, I have come up with a new insight that better fits the question. One of the questions ask about a transformational experience...I am sitting here thinking how writing these essays in itself has transformed me. Never have I challenged myself to express my innermost thoughts and feelings in words. Its not easy! You sure do learn a lot about yourself in the process.

The question that has taken me the longest to answer is this : Give us an example of a moment in your life you had to creatively and spontaneously generate an inspired solution.

I thought you might enjoy my unique answer:

I spent one Christmas day holding down the fort at a wildlife rescue I worked at in Costa Rica. That morning Santa's gift to me was a missing porcupine. Pepo the porcupine had decided to take a walk and I found him about 300 yards away chilling on the fence line that ran along side a very busy road.

I have never attempted to capture a porcupine for the obvious reasons and I knew that if I tried to catch him with a net or gloves he would either try to run, possibly in the direction of the road or release large quantities of quills to protect himself. After attempting to bribe him to climb on a stick and making no progress, I came up a "spontaneous and creative solution".

I remembered that dear Pepo would always try to climb onto me whenever I was in his cage. He seems to have an affinity for rooting in and grooming people's hair. I had avoided this because I wasn't keen on the idea of him accidentally releasing quills into my skin if something spooked him suddenly. However, that day Pepo got his way. All it took was an outstretched hand and there he was on my arm in a minute. On the walk that seemed to last an eternity, Pepo managed to climb up my shoulder and onto my head using my nose as a step. Through the grace of God and deep breaths we arrived at his cage with all his quills nicely attached to his body.

Goes to show you, when equanimity and composure are of the utmost importance, you can overcome fear.

You think they will remember me after reading that answer? =)

Happy New Year to all! I wish you the deepest joy and love within and all around you for this year to come!

Love, Kristen

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kristen! I loved your story, and love that we are going to be able to follow you on your adventures. Happy New Year!!
    Love,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year Kristen. My family and I really enjoy keeping up with the stories of fellow adventurers so we will be sure to follow your blog :) We have been spending the winter volunteering in Everglades National Park, and we go down to the Keys every few weeks! You can see pictures from our travels at: www.omwardbound.blogspot.com

    Where are you planning to go to school? The question you wrote about sounds like something Naropa would ask (which is where I studied Buddhist and Western Contemplative Psychology in the early 90's).
    Have a great time sailing!
    Daphnie

    ReplyDelete