Friday, January 9, 2009

Hangin' in Key West





















I safely arrived in Key West on Monday, but upon arrival I discovered that there is much more work that the boat needs to undergo before being ready to set sail. Luckily, Yvonne, the other woman that I will crew with has been house sitting here in Key West. She has taken me in, fed me, and introduced me to some great people. My first two afternoons here where spent off shore fishing with a group of really kind, funny, older men that Yvonne knows. I haven't fished since I was a kid and I really found it quite meditative. There was nothing to see but water and the horizon in all directions and the motion of the boat rocking on the water was rhythmic and soothing. Fishing asked me to be completely present in that moment and focus, so that I could feel any subtle tugs on the line. I liked that. Just little fish were caught and all returned back to the sea.

During one of the fishing excursions we ran into some bad weather that we were unable to escape due to motor problem. This was quite the experience and gave me a taste of what its like to experience the power of the wind and rain at sea. We made it back fine, just a little cold and wet. Nothing I hot cup of tea couldn't cure.

While here in Key West I have also had the pleasure of experiencing the diverse night life. Did you know that instead of dropping a ball on New Year's Eve, they drop a Drag Queen in a red heel? Below are photos of Yvonne, who I adore, and the men who have been entertaining me with their clever antics, humor, and love of life. I feel blessed to have been in such good company during my time here. Oh yes, and second to last shot is from the drag queen show we saw last night, couldn't miss that.



I am off to Ft. Meyers tomorrow to meet Cap't Roy and check out the boat. The plan is to help with any work the boat still needs and then early next week we will start doing shake downs to make sure all is working well.
Till next time.
Kristen



































1 comment: